Re: TR4 valve cover question

To: Jerry McDonald <jmacd@gte.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 valve cover question
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 07:53:34 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Jerry McDonald wrote:

> I'm trying to fix a few naggling little problems on CT1272L, one of which is
> a leaking valve cover. I have a fresh gasket to put on but as I was cleaning
> the mating surface I noticed that lip of the valve cover is somewhat
> inverted. This offers a very small area for gasket to contact. Is this
> normal, or has mine been badly over torqued by the PO? TIA

        This is not an unusual problem... the lip aof your valve cover
        has been bent up over the course of years. There are two fixes... no
        three fixes for the problem.

        1. buy one of the aluminum valve covers... It's the most
           expensive route... It will look great in the engne bay and it
           will quiet the valve train a bit too.

        2. Place the valve cover on a flat wooden surface and use a
           hammer and tap the lip to a more horizontal postition. Thus
           allowing a larger contact surface.

        3. I'll also recommend the neoprene valve gasket that is sold by
           British Frame and Engine... You have to glue it to the valve
           cover with contact cement (like gorilla snot). It works realy
           well... Mine has been on my TR4 for over 5 years the only leaks
           I get from it is when I forget to tighten the cover well enough.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois