Re: Spit VIN Question

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spit VIN Question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:23:24 +0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Martin Libhart wrote:

> MARK:
>
> The first "U" indicates that the car is the North American version.  My
> 70 Spitfire is FDU75026L, the "L" being left-hand drive.  I'm not sure
> about your second "U". I can look it up this evening, if I haven't seen
> another post by then.

I suspect the second "U" is a typo. The only suffix letters on a Spitfire
Commission number in the FDU series would be the "L" for left hand drive
and/or "O" for overdrive as equipped from the factory.

Believe me, I understand the temptation to apply this "older" title to
your 1973, but it might be rather difficult to do. At the very latest, the
FDU commission number would apply to a 1970 model. If any local
authorities somehow caught on to what you were doing, perhaps they might
not take too kindly to it? ;-)

--Andy