Re: TR 6 Tire replacement

To: 0005419627@mcimail.com
Subject: Re: TR 6 Tire replacement
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:20:10 EST
Cc: peb3@cornell.edu, abrunetti@edgenet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 18 Feb 97 15:33 EST Bill Georgas <0005419627@mcimail.com> writes:
>Philip, Tony, and List,
>
>I am running 205/65-15s with no apparent problems.  Not sure how much
>they really effect the speedo, but there was a formula posted several
>months ago, I'll try to dig it up.
>
>Bill

In the tire size you quoted, the 205 is the tread width, 205mm and the
second figure is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of tread
width (aspect ratio), so the sidewall height in this case is 70%  of the
tread width.  High performance tires have wider tread and very narrow
sidewalls.  If you do the math, you should be able to derive a tire size
that is roughly equivalent to the original 185/75 redwall Michelins.  By
my calculator, the original tire had a sidewall height of 139mm, so all
you need to do is multiply the larger tread width by the aspect ratio to
see if it has the same sidewall height. 205/70 should have a sidewall
height of 143.5mm.  215/65 gives 139.5mm but I don't know if this would
present clearance problems.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (Getting ready for paint)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 (latest acquisition)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover (Farm use)
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon (Be patient! I'm workin' on it)
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)
1987 VW Golf GTI (How did that sneak in here?)
1972 Grady White Chesapeake Mercruiser I/O