Re: tires for a '65 spitfire

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: tires for a '65 spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:32:48 +0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Ed writes:
> > I am about to put new tires on my spit.  now would be the best time to go
> > to a bigger tire if i ever wanted to.  I wanted to know if anyone thought
> > there was any real reason to go from the stock tires to a wider tire.
> Well besides looking better (personal preference) It will improve handling,
> and braking.  If it is a stock Spitfire, with stock rims you won't be able
> to go much over 165/R13, especially with MKIII and earlier....

Right as usual, Barry. Pre-1970 Spitfires came stock with 3.5" steel rims,
while the optional wire wheel was 4.5". The latter, or any 1970 (plain) or
1971-on ("perforated") Spitfire steel wheel (all of which are 4.5" wide
except for the very latest Spitfire wheels, which were 5") will bolt on
without problems, and allow you to go easily with up to a 175/70 R13 tire.
I know that, according to a lot of tire books, that 4.5" is a bit narrow
for the 175/70, but in many years of hard use -- including MUCH
autocrossing -- on my GT6+, I never had any problems beyond a belt
separation that turned out to be a manufacturing defect of the tire.

--Andy