Re: More diff. questions (Spit)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More diff. questions (Spit)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:46:56 -0800
> Well, now Iım doing some dangerous thinking.  Soon to embark on a leaf
> spring replacement, Iım wondering whether my ŞborderlineŞ differential
> ought to be replaced simultaneously, since the spring exchange is a lot
> of work, and Iıd prefer not to revisit that area anytime soon.
 < snip >
            * * *     Excerpt from Andy Mace    * * *
>Jack up car. Do above. Then also undo 12 nuts/bolts on drive flanges, two
>nuts on front mounts, that darned bolt (maybe 8-10ft. long) that holds the
>rear of the diff. Lever it about, drop it on your chest
 < snip >
And don't forget remove (or attempt to remove) what's left of the rusted
bolts/nuts holding what's left of the exhaust pipe/rust/muffler/assy
together, use chest again - etc.

>From what I can tell you don't really have cause to re-build.  If the diff
isn't making noise, although it never hurts to replace the bearings and
seals and with 80K they could probably use it.  It's quite a bit more work
to pull the diff out (and a lot more specialized TIME consuming work to
re-build the unit, been there done that! ) but I guess it would depend on
how much you intend to use the car.  If just for an occasional drive then
don't worry about it.  Maybe remove the oil and refill with fresh fluid.  If
you plan to use it as a daily driver then you might consider a re-build or
replacing with a rebuilt unit.  Hope that clears it up a bit -

Yes I've had them just fail.  Had a ring gear tooth break off, without
warning, and send the gear tooth through the back of the housing - and that
was the original diff with the 1300 motor.   And to top it off it did that
the day AFTER I had just come back from a trip to Wyoming!  I've also had
the carriers grenade, but I was kinda overloading them with a V6 and a lot
of torque - :-)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)