RE: wire wheels and splines

To: "Ludwig Combrinck" <ludwig@ludwig.hartrao.ac.za> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: wire wheels and splines
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 20 Feb 1997 13:48:13 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 064FC330CC69D009-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 20 Feb 1997 13:48:13 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 20 Feb 1997 13:48:13 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <064FC330CC69D009*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Ludwig wrote:
I have a 68 Spitfire MKIII with wire wheels, of which the splines are
suspect. Can these be refurbished somehow ?  It would seem that
some electrolytic action took place between the wheels and the splined
flanges, leading to a pink powdery deposit.  On inspection the splines seem
solid and sharp, but I would rather not have wheels coming off at
Ludwig - if the only problem you have is some powdery deposits on your
splines and they are otherwise sharp, solid and ungouged, they should be
fine.  I assumee the threads are not stripped on the wheel nut, correct?
 Just clean the deposit off, lubricate the splines with some grease, and put
the wheel back on.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe