Re: TR Road Trip

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR Road Trip
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:56:38 -0800
Cc: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Bob Lang wrote of interesting trip preparation, including:

>7. Lastly, fluids. I take a couple quarts of oil, some trans fluid and
>some brake fluid, just in case. It is way cheaper to lose some space in
>the boot for these items than it is to shell out $3.00 for a quart of oil
>in the middle of nowhere at 4 AM.

A _couple quarts_ of oil!!

My most interresting long road trip was in about 1977, driving my '67 TR4A from
Lexington Park,
Maryland to Memphis, Tennessee, for the Liberty Bowl.  You need to realize that
my TR4A had
around 150K miles on it, back then.  Oil leakage was a problem, moreso than
burning oil, as I
recall (I had rebuilt it somewhat recently).

I packed a case of 12 quarts of oil in the truck, and found I had to buy a
_second_ case of 12
for the trip back!

I could also tell the story of driving the same TR4A (pulling a utility
trailer) from Norfolk, VA
to Portland, Maine and back in 1980, and driving my TR3B to Maine (again from
Norfolk) to get
married in 1981, take our honeymoon driving around Nova Scotia, and back to DC
for the Triumph
Register of America National Meet.  Round trip was about 2500 miles, and proved
very reliable
(and only a couple quarts of oil were needed).

One day, I'll have to write of my worst mechanical breakdowns, but that's
another story.

Keith "oil's cheap" Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net