Re: K&N Air Filters

To: clayts@vegasnet.net
Subject: Re: K&N Air Filters
From: npenney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:35:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Hope this doesn't sound TOO silly a question - but could someone briefly
>describe the best way to wash and maintain these K&N filters PO had put on
>TR4.  (BTW - I believe this early TR4 was re-fitted with the later TR4A HS6
>carbs - what's easiest way to be sure?)

At the bike shops, we use gasoline or parts wash solvent and wash it out and
then blow it out
with shop air.  work from the inside to the outside (reverse the direction the
air flowed into
the unit).

>Must I buy air filter oil or is there a suitable replacement on my garage
>shelf already?

You should, it's the best air filter oil out there.  It's incredibly sticky
stuff.  Which is
what makes it work.  Using engine oil and such just doesn't do a good job on a
gauze filter.
The only oil I've ever met that might work is rock drill oil.  And it isn't any
cheaper then
filter oil.