Spitfire Rear End Problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Rear End Problems
From: richard stieg <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:09:33 -0600
Charlie Brown, et al:
I had the same problem with a 67 Camaro four-speed (I have since of course found
Jesus and Lucas and only work on British Steel) I replaced the transmission,
then tried to back the thing off the stands, only to see the speedo hit 30 mph.

sitting still.

Turns out it was a crown gear in the rear end which was in 4 (I think) pieces.
Luckily, no one was around to see the look on my face.  I fitted a new rear end
from a salvage yard, and motored away the following week.
I would definitely check the rear end of your Spit.        rick stieg