Re: Spitfire Brake Springs

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Brake Springs
From: John Matthews <prabir@best.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:16:59 +1100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry H. Adams wrote:

> I installed new brake shoes on my 74 Spitfire last weekend.  After removing
> the drums I noted that the DPO had struck again.  The upper (top) brake
> springs had been incorrectly installed outboard of the old shoes, a
> condition I of course would correct when I installed the new shoes.
> Approximately 1 1/2 hours later, and after adding several new words to my
> Spitfire lexicon, I also installed the upper springs outboard of the new
> shoes.
>
> I'm curious.  Has anyone ever gotten the upper springs installed inboard of
> the shoes?  The only way that I can envision to do it is to remove the
> backing plate, cylinder, and adjuster, assemble the shoes, with springs
> inboard and then reinstall everything to the backing plate.
>
> Barry H. Adams
> 74 Spitfire

Barry,

Try putting the springs on before you put the shoes on the cylinder.
I've found that by carefully assembling the shoes and springs, then
placing onto the cylinder & adjuster it makes life much easier. Yes it
does take a steady hand, but when it works you will be pleased.
Just another trick I've never seen in any manual, but seems obvious
after you do it.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 & '65 Heralds