Re: TR6 Differential Drain Plugs

To: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 Differential Drain Plugs
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:18:47 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Mason wrote:

> Maybe this is a stupid question, (I always tell my students that
> there is no such thing as a stupid question, then have to bite my tongue
> when they come up with a real doozy!)  but, can a drain plug be added
> without having the diff out of the car?  I just got the car and
> everything seems to be working and tight back there and I don't want to
> mess with it until I have to.  But I would feel much better having the
> fluid drained and replaced and to be able to do it easily in the future.
>
> And besides, standing under a thing full of oil and drilling a hole in
> the bottom of it is how I would normally  do things!  Appeals to my sense
> of adventure.  Certainly doesn't take much to keep me entertained.  :-)
>
> Michael Mason, St. Louis
>         with my drill and new hat at the ready........
>
> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:

> > To: triumphs@autox.team.net@INTERNET
> > From: vanheusen.com@INTERNET on Tue, Feb 25, 1997 2:06 PM
> > Subject: RE: TR6 Differential Drain Plugs
> >
> > TWALLI@ writes:
> > >"Don't you think there are enough places for the oil to leak already? "  He
> >
> > >also doubts that there is much need to replace the oil, only to keep it
> > >topped up.
> >
> >      Your mechanic is off base. With the proper machining the differential
> > won't leak any more than the drain plug for your oil pan. I think your
> > mechanic is really saying bring your car and your check book to me and I'll
> > take care of both of them. With the correct maintenance your fluids should
> > not be leaking.
> >
> > > Although it goes against instinct (and C.A.R.'s practises). I think
> > you'r3e >better off leaving the diff case as Coventry created it.
> >
> >     If you look at the casting you might think Coventry at one time had
> > another idea. There is a boss made into the casting for the purpose of
> > drilling and tapping. You would not add a feature like this in the casting
> > unless you planned on using it for something. But as anyubody in a
> > manufacturing environment will tell you they are always looking for a way to
> > reduce costs. I believe the drain plug was cost reduced out. Why not use it
> > as Convetry intended for it to be used.
> >
> > Richard Ceraldi
> > 71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
> > Austin, TX
> > www.exact.com/~gt6mk3
> >
> >Richard, and lister,

I've got two Spits and they both have a flat spot on the bottom of the
diff, where Triumph USED to put the drain plug.

I've installed 1/2" drain plugs with copper washers (off the auto parts
store shelf, stock items) in the bottom of both, while the diff is in the
car.

If you're careful, and are able to drill a straight, plumb hole, with a
1/2" drill, it can be done. Get the plug and washer, and a tap and drill
bit of appropriate size. Working from underneath--duh!! ;^)--, drill the
hole as square to the flat area as you can. If you would feel more
comfortable, drill a smaller, easier to handle, 1/4" pilot hole. Just
remember, nasty oil will be forthcoming--have a drain pan handy.

After the gunk has finished flowing, and you have the proper size, tapped
hole, use one of those magnets on a stick to attract any loose shavings
that have collected around the inner edge of the hole. Wiggle it around
until no more particles come out on the magnet. If you feel more
comfortable pour about a cup of mineral spirits into the fill hole and
let it flow out the new drain hole, just to get any last residue.

Screw in the new drain plug, crushing the copper washer slightly, fill
with the potion of choice, and away you go. I did both of my cars about 2
years ago and neither has yet to loose it's diff.

Charlie B.