Re: Engine Rebuild, was Crankshaft balancing (TR6)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild, was Crankshaft balancing (TR6)
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 15:49:44 -0500
Hey All,

        As usual I didn't give enough info.  Let me reply to Henry's message.

>John,
>
>From the content of your message, it appears you are doing your engine
>rebuild on a rather tight budget.

        Yes and no.  Money = Time.  If it takes more money then it will also
take more time (since I must earn the money.  My goal is to get the car
running by spring 98, so I have lots of time.  However if it takes till
spring 99 that is ok also.  I want to do a good job ONCE.

>If you are considering spending money on a balancing the engine, I would
>rather spend that money on components that are normally replaced every
>time an engine is torn down.

        Good point.  I just wasn't sure how important/essential it was to
balance a engine given that I see no reason to replace the crank,
pistons, or conrods.

>I would absolutely replace the rings, remember you will need to have the
>cylinders honed so the new rings seat properly.

        The cylinder bores don't have the lip worn into them, as far as I can
tell.  How do I look for this to tell if I need to have them honed?  I
think I will buy new rings, but how do I measure the wear on the rings I
have.

>Obviously, all bearings replaced.

Done Already.

>While the head is off, I would spring (no pun intended) for
>new valve guides at least. If it were me,

Bought a new No-Lead head from TRF last year!

>I would put a new oil pump in, no matter how 'in-spec' the old one is.

Really? Why?  You may be right but i just want to understand why.

>How does the timing chain and chainwheels look, a little sloppy?

How do i judge this since the engine is apart?

?Lets take a good look at the tappets, and the cam for that matter...

Tappets show a lot of wear and are going to be replaced.  I am going to
measure the cam this weekend.

?This list grows and grows.

And so does the budget, but the wife understands, and like I said as the
budget grows so does my time schedule.

>On the engines I have rebuilt, I start out thinking I am going to spend
>a few hundred dollars on parts.  With everything apart, I start getting
>nervous about reusing this or that.

>All it takes is one lousy rebuild to learn a lesson in false economy.

I have also bought new conrod bolts, just because I would hate to see one
brake because I reused it when i should of
replaced it.

Please give me any pointers you can.  I will evaluate each one, and use
what I can.

Thanks,
JHD IV

TR6 CF16XXX car  CC80XXX Drive train.