Oil Pumps, was Engine Rebuild

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Oil Pumps, was Engine Rebuild
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:07:08 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
To save bandwidth, I answered John personally. I made one point I want
to answer to the list to see if my opinion is shared by anybody else...

DUHART JOHN wrote:

snip

> >I would put a new oil pump in, no matter how 'in-spec' the old one is.
>
> Really? Why?  You may be right but i just want to understand why.

snip

An oil pump is literally the heart of an engine. In theory, it lives a
good life, bathed in oil as it pumps and pumps.  But, as an engine
accumulates more and more wear, it sheds tiny particles into the oil. I
feel the main cause of oil pump wear is pumping these tiny metal
particles, usually pieces of bearings.

Sure, when you have everything apart, you are going to clean everything
so you have removed any metal flakes. But, I always ask myself, how much
metal _did_ this oil pump chew through?

As I am monkeying around with my feeler guages I measuring the wear in a
used oil pump, I always feel that this pump probably has more useful
life in it.

But I have greater peace of mind knowing the brand new I will install
will give me the greatest obtainable oil pressure. Is it a juicy
rationalization? Sure it is. Will I ever rebuild an engine without
replacing the oil pump? No.

I will be 'waking up' a TR3B I just purchased. Hasn't run in almost 20
years. I ordered an oil pump rebuild for it because when I drop the oil
pan to clean out the sludge, I want to install a fresh oil pump.
Overkill? Probably. But I will sleep better knowing I am getting the
best oil pressure I can get.

So, does anybody share this obsession, or am I alone in my throwing my
money at the oil pump goddess?
--
| Henry Frye                          E-mail thefryes@iconn.net |