"Plus One" look

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: "Plus One" look
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:10:13 -0800
Cc: "'British List'" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Warning.....Originality afficianados should avert your eyes.  Purists should
delete at this point.

You have been warned.....

        As you may recall, yesterday I queried as to the feasability of
adapting taller (ie. 14" x 5.5" or 15" x 6") wire wheels to the splined hubs
for my Spitfire.  Using these taller/wider rims would allow me to mount the low
profile series tires I so enjoy the look of.

        I got these hubs from TRF during the winter sale by the way. They were
NOT backordered.

        Well, it turns out British Wire Wheel in Santa Cruz, CA says that
normally this would be no problem.  The only precondition being you could not
go wider than the 4.5" rim suggested for the Spitfire.  To use the wider wheel,
one would have to get the longer splined hub.  Of course the longer hub does
not come predrilled for the Spit lug pattern.
        They will be able to get them made by using blanks and drilling the
Spit lug pattern out.  Of course each hub will be $72, a significant increase
in the sale price of the hubs from TRF.

Oh well, you live, you learn.

Keep you posted,

Chris Prugh