Re: spitfire - electrical prob's (fwd)

To: mgx@icesar.epm.ornl.gov
Subject: Re: spitfire - electrical prob's (fwd)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:10:38 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Galloway wrote:

<< my '78 spit has an interesting electrical problem:  ......>>

Michael:

Without having a Spitfire schematic, it is a little difficult to analyse your
problem, but I will try to extrapulate from TR6 wiring diagrams.

First, let me point out a problem with the color codes used in British cars -
it is impossible to tell, sometimes, if a wire is, for example, blue/black or
black/blue. The stripe is often as wide as the body color. This can be very
confusing sometimes.

In TR6s, Black/???? wires were used in the seat interlock circuit. I assume
the wire you stated as blue/black is one of these wires that has been
modified to delete the seat belt interlock.

As to your starter solenoid wiring, there should be nothing but Brown wires
on the top lug. This is true, as far as I can be sure, for all British cars
of this era. The yellow/white and orange/white wires are actually
white/yellow and white/orange, and are part of the seat belt interlock
system. Someone has bypassed the interlock, and in the case of these two
wires has done it correctly. This modification is all that is required for
the bypass, so I have no idea what the blue/black or (black/blue) wire is
for.

The color light green/black is reserved for the windshield washer; I can't
imagine what it is doing on the solenoid. Evidently, the red wire was a
replacement for a brown wire that was damaged some time ago. The pink/white
wire is the ballast resister bypass. The ballast resister is bypassed when
the engine is being cranked. The white/red wire is from the start position of
the ignition switch.

To the best of my knowledge, the only color used at the factory for ground
wire is black, but I could be wrong.

>From your e-mail address, I see you work for ORNL. Do you live near
Knoxville? If so, give me a call at 982-9373 and I will come by and take a
look, if you want. I won't be available for the next three weeks, but anytime
after that. If not, if you want to mail me a xerox of the wiring diagram, I
can co-ordinate with you by e-mail, and we can solve this problem. My postal
address is 1051 Vera Drive, Alcoa, TN 37701.

Danb Masters,
Alcoa, TN