[npenney@erols.com: Re: spit1500 brake drums]

To: triumphs
Subject: [npenney@erols.com: Re: spit1500 brake drums]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 03:47:18 -0700 (MST)

This was sent to the wrong address, rather than triumphs@autox.team.net

mjb.
----

     Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 10:42:34 -0800
     From: npenney <npenney@erols.com>
     Subject: Re:  spit1500 brake drums

>I have been unsuccessful in removing the brake drums from my 75 spit1500. I
>backed off the brake shoes but cannot remove the two countersunk screws
>that hold the brake drum to the backplate. I have tried liquid wrench,
>marvel mystery oil, elbow grease, etc. to no avail.... any suggestions
>before I drill the little suckers into oblivion? Bruce Pierce

A decent hand held impact wrench with the phillips head screwdriver attachment
and a
very big heavy hammer.  That will get off or out 99% of the frozen and even
stripped
screws you encounter in life.  That's the only tool that's got a chance, and
it's
got a very good chance of working actually.

Then you'll want a gear puller.  That's the best way to pull a drum off.  Yes,
you
can try prying and cussing and crying and beating on it.  In the case of Fords,
it
works.  But a gear puller makes the job a quick and painless snap.