[no subject]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:43:01 -0800
Gary L writes:
>I am in the process of my first transmission rebuild on my 73 GT-6 and
>everything has gone pretty good until now.  I can't figure out how to
>drive the rear bearing onto the main shaft with the while holding the
>gear cluster inside the box and not damaging the main shaft.  Figures 53
>and 54 of the workshop manual shows the use of two special tools to
>accomplish this task and I was wondering if anyone has done this with out
>these special tools and how you were able to accomplish this task.
>Thanks.
Gary,
Sorry I can't remember exactly how (it was a very long time ago), although I
didn't use any special tools when I rebuilt my Spitfire MK4 box (basically
the same except for ratios) so it can be done - I _think_ what I did ( if my
failing memory serves me ) was reassemble every thing and place it in the
case.  Then with the case supported probably with 2 X 4s' against the garage
floor with the rear of the shaft sticking up, and the small end of the main
shaft also supported with a stout piece of solid aluminum approx. 1.5 inch
in dia. and length to position the shaft in the proper location, I drove the
bearing onto the shaft using a long piece of aluminum tubing that matched
the diameter of the INNER race.  You always want to apply the driving force
to the race that is being installed, not the opposite race or your asking
for certain bearing failure!  Just be careful and you shouldn't have any
problems.
Good luck -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)