Re: FW: Re: Elect. tach. vs. mech.

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: Re: Elect. tach. vs. mech.
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 21:00:36 +0000
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> [BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Mike Ginter
>SA <mike@redline.stortek.com>]]
>
>      Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:32:52 -0700
>      From: Mike Ginter SA <mike@redline.stortek.com>
>      Subject: Re: Elect. tach. vs. mech.
>
> While we're on the subject, my electronic tach reads 10K over at idle, (1800
> to 2000 rpm) and approximately 10K under at seemingly peak torque (4000 rpm
>?).
> I've never run the thing over what the tach says is 4500 rpm, because at that
> point, the engine doesn't seem to have anything left.
> Occasionally upon engine startup, the tach reads normal at idle (800 rpm)
>until the throttle is punched up to approx. 1500 rpm.  At this point it
>returns to
> 10K overage and stays there for the duration of the drive.
>
> I had only seen it behave normally at idle once before I put in a new
> distributor cap and rotor.  Now it is normal almost every time I first start
> the car, until I give it some gas, and then it returns to the aforementioned
> behavior.
>
> Can someone explain to me the theory of electronic tach operation and all of
> the components involved so I may begin to troubleshoot this problem without
> having to buy all new parts in a process of elimination?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Mike
> 79 Spit
Mike: Send it out to be recailibrated. Most electronic tachs have a
potentiometer inside for that very purpose. You could do it your self,
but you'd have to rig up a second tach that is know to be accuate. Then,
you'd have to rig your tach in such a manner that you could get at the
innards to adjust the pot., while comparing it to the know accuate one
at a variety of rpm ranges.