Re: TR4 front end rebuild

To: Adrian Jefferies <asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4 front end rebuild
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:18:31 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumph cars list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Adrian Jefferies wrote:

> hi Triumphers
>
> I'm in the midst of rebuilding the front end of my TR4 - its an early model
> so the front end is essentially TR2.
>
> My question - I cant get the steel sleeves that the lower A-arm swivel around
> off the car. There isnt much room to manouvre in there, either the brake pipe
> or the rack is in the way. If I was replying to this meesage, I'd say "Heat
> and Extreme Brutality", or weld a bar to each one.

> I can leave them - thats what I did last time, but I have had quite a lot of
> wear in the poly bushes as the sleeves are a bit pitted & worn.

        Adrian, I did the heat route when I redid the front of my Tr4
        (CT4852L). Of course at the time I was dealing with just the
        frame as I had removed everything else at that point... My
        sleeves were so badly worn I thought the shafts were affected!

        I would remove your car's wings prior to proceding, then drape
        what's behind in flameproof fabric or other such material.
        My sleeves had tp be pretty hot before they let go, but we used a
        vicegrips pliers to get them off...

        I know this will sound a bit like closing the barn door after the
        the horse has run off but when you finally get the sleeves off put
        some antiseize on the shafts, before you replace them.

        An alternative could be to carefully grind them off (this will
        take a light touch with the grinder and nerves of steel). I would
        grind down one side of the sleeve til almost through, then repeat the
        procedure on the other side... I would liberally coat the shaft
        with penetrating oil before I began, too.

        Good Luck...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois