Re: Spitfire rear springs

To: Kris Kane <motrsprt@micron.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire rear springs
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 05:24:02 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Kris Kane wrote:

> Hi
> I'm new to this list, and hope it went where I wanted it to go.  My wife and
>I currently own only one Triumph-a 1979 Spitfire.  We purchased it 2 years ago
>with aspirations of restoring/rebuilding it to drive and perform better than
>the condition it was in 1995.
> While this thread is going on about the rear suspension, is there anyone who
>just hates the rear suspension setup with the transverse leaf springs?  I was
>told by a local shop, that could re-arch the springs if I wanted, that doing
>so would not guarantee the car sit straight.  My only alternative at the time
>was to buy a new leaf spring set.  I hate leaf springs.
> My question is:  has anyone ever installed a set of coil-assisted shocks on
>the rear and eliminated the leaf springs altogether?
> If this is a subject that has been covered already, and there exists FAQ's on
>it, could someone please guide me to them?
> ----------
>
> While we're on this thread of sagging rear Spitfire springs, I plan on having
>mine re-arched soon. Question: What type of shop does one look for to have the
>re-arching done and what does one ask to have done? Anyone who has been
>through this successfully I/we would welcome your input.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ralph Jannelli
> '72 Spitfire MKIV
> '65 Spitfire MKII
> ------------------------------------
> Kris Kane, owner
> IDAHO MOTORSPORTS
> Meridian, ID  (208)8884372
> wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust, intakes, forced
> induction's, synthetic lubricants, ECU upgrades
> motrsprt@micron.net

The first time I addressed the problem of worn leaf springs in my
Spitfire, I had the unit re-arched, and the shop (one that specialized
in doing this, incidentally) re-arched them way too much; big waste of
time, effort, & money for me. I remember looking around the shop when
I first brought the car there, and seeing all these BIG leaf springs
lying around; in retrospect, I came to realize that most, if not all,
of their business involves re-arching leaf springs for large trucks &
similar road equipment, where the cost of new leaf springs is so
prohibitive that re-arching is the only thing that makes sense from
a business standpoint.  The Spitfire, on the other hand, is very light
weight (1700-1800 lbs.?) and, when you think of it, re-arching springs
for it would require a very delicate touch to get it right.  My advice,
without reservation, would be to spend your money on a new leaf spring
unit from one of the big three mail order parts vendors: The Roadster
Factory, Moss, or Victoria British, and stay away from re-arching,
unless you drive a dumptruck or big rig.

Rick deOlazarra
'74 Spitfire