TR4 front end rebuild (long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumph cars list)
Subject: TR4 front end rebuild (long)
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:13:19 +0100 (BST)
hi

I thought you'd like to know that my TR4 is back on the road following a
front-end
rebuild. New parts include nylatron bushings for the upper A-arms, new poly
bushings
for the lower A-arms, 20% uprated road springs with Spax shocks, new brake disks
and pads, the rest of it was ok.  What a difference! For the first time
ever it stops very positively, the tracking seems much improved and of course
its flatter round corners. I've got a Moss(?) TR6 front sway bar too.

Heres what I've learned ....

    The nylatron bushes for the upper A-arms are a very tight fit. My A-arms
        were rather mucky. I tried to clean up the inside surface using a wire
brush on a
        drill, but this didnt work out.. A friend of mine polished them up on a
lathe
        & pressed the nylatrons in, then had to use the lathe again to skim the
nylatron
        inner to allow a finger-tight movement of the steel sleeve ... the
result was a
        perfect fit but no way could I have managed that alone. I assembled the
whole thing
        (ie: including fulcrum pin) off the car which turned out not to be
necessary.
        Easy though.

        I used a Moss (UK) nylatron kit, but they had supplied the wrong size
steel sleeves.
        The internal diameter between the upper & lower sleeves is different.
        If you try to put one on your car & it seems too loose - its wrong. I
bought the
        kit a couple of years ago so by now the problem should be fixed. Moss
blamed their
        supplier.

        My sway bar is also a Moss(UK) unit. The bar & the way its is fixed to
the
        car is fine, but the method used to connect the ends to the lower A-arms
        is pretty poor. There is a long bolt that is held in place by rubber
bushes
        to allow it to bend towards a crude plate which is bolted to the lower
arm.
        So, the bolt is held in the rubber at a wild angle to connect it all
together.
        One day I'll think about improving all this.

    The lower A-arms & poly bushes went together ok, but I could not get the
        steel sleeves off the car. Heat & good access are needed here I think.
        One of the steel sleeves was rather worn, the rest were more-or-less ok.

        Putting the spring pans on was the predictable struggle, but its easier
        if you use a threaded rod to compress the spring (as per the book) and
put
        a screwdriver through the pan & bolt holes to get more guidance
leverage.

I also Hammerite'd various rusty bits of metal. Being a cheapskate I mix a bit
down with their special thinner & just slap it on as untreated metal gets
revealed.

The only thing I've got wrong is(are?) the bearings - I can probably get the
race
cages which are pressed into the hub out (via screwdriver & hammer), but I wasnt
sure I could put the new ones in without scoring or bending them. I dont have a
big enough socket & I'm unsure about banging machined parts even if through bits
of wood? Suggestions?   Anyhow I've got new bearings & old races, probably A
Bad Thing.
I've got a vice/vise.

I'm a digest reader & I'm a bit behind, but I have been
reading the discussion of a few days ago about tightening up the hubs. I always
put them in so I get a hint of play, but it always worries me! I also agree
about
compressing the felt seal - I think ...

Anyhow, I got the car together so I could attend the South-West TR Register
Inter-Group meeting at a great pub in the very scenic village of Lacock in
Wiltshire. The weather in the UK has been particularly & unseasonably fine these
past few weeks, spring has sprung very early, hence about +30 TRs showed up.
Very pleasant. I also saw 6VC - this is Neil Revingtons ex-works TR4.

(note: plug follows)
He runs Revington TR - I have a his catalogue & can thoroughly recommend it
to TR nuts, particularly is you want go faster stuff. Its packed with goodies
that you guys like - everything you need to rebuild/rally your TR. Its availble
as
a paper catalogue or as a computer disk. Just get it, you wont be dissapointed.
Plenty of Early TR stuff too (Revington rallies a TR2).

Finally, I bought parts from :
Moss, London
Northern TR Centre (who sent me the wrong brake parts & were very crestfallen
when I
pointed this out! I like these guys) 01740-621447 (fax 01740 6228873)
Revington TR 01823-698437 (fax 01823-698109)

Regards, Adrian + TR4 (now fixed)
             adrian_jefferies@x400.icl.co.uk

--

Regards, Adrian