TR3A tranny work from topside

To: jfcowan@sj.znet.com
Subject: TR3A tranny work from topside
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:03:50 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>        A mechanic recently pointed out that one of the rear tranny
>mounting bolts is missing on my TR-3A.  It has probably been gone since
>before I bought the car in 1965.  I'd like to replace it.  Does anyone know
>if I can do that from under the car; i.e., without removing the
>transmission housing?

John,

I just pulled my TR3A's tranny, from the interior of the car, without ever
going underneath the car (except to make sure the floor jack was set right.)
All you need to do is pull the seat cushions and front carpets, remove the
16 (?) bolts to remove the tranny tunnel.  (You may need to remove the
entire seat to get at the tranny tunnel rear mounting bolts)  You will now
see the tranny mounting bolts approx between the seats.  You may have to
jack up the back of the engine slightly (protect the pan with a wooding
block) to free the space for the bolt, but probably not.  It should be
pretty simple to replace either the one of the four bolts which hold the
mount to the frame or the two bolts which hold the gearbox to the mount.

Let me knowif yoiu need any futher assistance.

Jack I. Brooks                          Brooks@Belcotech.com
Project Manager                         http://www.Belcotech.com/
Belco Technologies Corporation          '60 TR3A
201-560-8861