Spitfire softtop setup

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire softtop setup
From: Ken Tharp <kthinc@dwx.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:07:34 -0500
Listers,

My '79 Spitfire came without a soft top or frame for one. I bought a
frame last fall, de-rusted it and have it ready for installation. I also
bought a tonneau which I refurbished. I have a metal piece (referred to
as a "top retainer bar" on pg. 59 lower left of the current VB catalog)
that installs on the rear edge of the car (in front of the gas cap).
That piece hold three snaps for the soft top and the tonneau.

My question is this: the metal piece that I have does not have any type
of protective padding between it and the car - shouldn't there be
something? If I install just what I have, there will be metal rubbing
against metal. Doesn't sound right. Can anyone advise??

Thanks,
Ken Tharp
West Des Moines, Iowa, USA
'79 Spitfire