Re: Need advice on stuck bolts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Need advice on stuck bolts
From: Kevin Brown <mgtrautoxr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 19:10:29 -0500
Cc: Les Francis <lesf@metronet.com>
Les Francis wrote:

> OK.  Mr. Goofywrench (me) has struck again.
>
> In an attempt to examine the braking system, r & r the rear shoes, and bleed
> the system on my '78 Spitfire, I've thoroughly rounded off both the bleed
> screw and the brakeline nut on the back of the wheel plate.
>
> I used my Dremmel (finally) to cut through the brake line and withdrew the
> entire brake cylinder assembly and have it securely in my vise.  Have tried
> a little application of heat (propane torch) and LOTS of penetrating oil
> (used penetrating oil from the beginning) as yet to no avail.  I have three
> questions:
>
> Question Number One: When using the propane torch, do I want to try to
> unscrew these buggers while it's still hot, or do I want to go thru several
> cycles of heat, cooling, heat, cooling, etc (applying additonal penetrating
> oil with each cooling period)?

Try to do it while it is hot.  I've never had much luck with a propane
torch though, it doesn't seem to get it hot enough.  I use a cutting
torch to heat up the brake line fitting  on my MGB to cherry red and it
came right out -- the propane tourch is worth a try though.

> Question B: Anticipating the debut of the dremmel, I've have a replacement
> brake line from TRF, but I now see that it's NOT "pre-bent".  I know there
> are tools to bend them, but given my skill level is that better left to a
> machine shop?

If all you have to do is bend the lines (ie: the fittings are already on
and the ends of the tubing are flaired) that is easy if you use your old
lines as a pattern.  Just get the type of bending toll that has two
grooved wheels on it -- it should have extra wheels so that you can pich
the one with the groove that matches your brake line diameter.

> Question III: Should I just quit trying before I do (more) serious damaage
> and take it to a machine shop and let them get the offending hardward out?
> I'd say try it yourself.

> Thanks for any advice/cousel.  Also now that I've done this I purchased
> those wrenches that are semi box-end so that I hope not to repeat this on
> the other side.  I also closed the barn door now that my horse got out.
>
> Les Francis
> lesf@metronet.com
> Grapevine TX

Good luck.

Kevin Brown   74 TR6 (2)  76 TR6  71 MGB  74 MGBGT
Odessa, MO