Too loud, too old? (was Monza)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Too loud, too old? (was Monza)
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 14:43:27 PDT
Larry Zink wrote:
        > If it's too loud, your too old.

Well, being on the other side of 40, I dont consider myself
dead yet.  However I dont necessarily agree with the comment.
I also own a DeTomaso Pantera with large headers and almost no
mufflers and a Moto Guzzi Le Mans with open megaphones.  Both
vehicles are extraordinarily loud, and can be heard from
over 1/2 a mile away.  I love the sound, and would not have it
any other way, however their long-distance touring abilities
are both poor; all that noise adds to a considerable degree
of fatigue.  I like to be able to drive 500 miles in a day,
AND party that night, then do it again the next day.

I dont remember where I read it, but it is said that noise
is the greatest fatiguer in a cabin, not ride quality, driving
effort or concentration.  I guess thats why 1st-class passengers
sit up front in aircraft.

Having said that, sound does make one more visible on the freeway
(especially important to a motorcyclist).

        Shane Ingate, with too much time on my hands today.