[Fwd: Re: TR-3A - Question about painting wheels, airfilters, etc.]

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: TR-3A - Question about painting wheels, airfilters, etc.]
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:41:30 -0700
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:40:28 -0700
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@scruznet.com>

TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> At 10:50 PM 4/23/97 -0700, John Cowan wrote:
> >    I am going to paint my TR-3A's solid wheels with Moss's silver/grey
> >spray paint, and the air filters and oil filler cap with flat black
> >Rustoleum.  Any suggestion on how to clean these items up; i.e., is it
> >better to use chemical paint removers or wire brush and steel wool?
> >   Thanks.
> >John
>
> I would have them sand blasted, then treat with a phosphoric acid pre-paint
> solution then paint.  I WOULD NOT USE RUSTOLIUM flat black.  First the
> colour is too flat.  Eastman Co has the correct shade of semi flat black.
> Rustolium paint surface hardens fairly quickly, but it takes several months
> to fully cure.  During that time the paint chips very easily.  I used it on
> the insturment panel frame on my Land Rover.  It chipped like mad for the
> first few months then stopped chipping.
>
> I'd get an Eastman catalogue & order the corect paint.
>
> TeriAnn Wakeman            For personal mail, please start subject line
> Santa Cruz California      with TW.  I belong to 4 high volume mail lists
> twakeman@scruznet.com      and do not read a lot of threads..Thanks
>
> Medium & large format photography, 1960 Land Rover 109,  1961 Triumph TR3A

I just painted my pressed wheels.  I don't recommend the sand
blasting... If you can get them hot-tanked instead... do that...
(chemical strip)  When you sand-blast, sand can get wedged in the
cracks... and that doesn't look good.... AND... sand blasting can (I
suppose theoretically) weaken an already whimpy wheel...  If it really
needs surface treatment...have it BEAD blasted...

I'll second the motion about RUSTOLEUM... It does take a long time to
cure.  What really stinks... is you think it's dry.... and you go and
have the wheels mountain... that the wheel mounting process screws up
the paint job because the paint is not fully cured inside...

I recommend MAKING SURE the paint is fully cured... by putting the
wheels aside for a couple weeks and working on another part of the car!
:)

I also used a metal cleaner and metal conditioner available from any
automobile paint store...

I painted mine red.  You can all shoot me now.  But I like the retro
30's look of red wheels on my BRG TR 4A... with aero screens.