Re: Spit Mk3 Frame color

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit Mk3 Frame color
From: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 21:28:38 -0800
Posted-date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 21:25:02 -0700 (PDT)
>On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 token@ridgecrest.ca.us wrote:
>
>> A question to the collective genius,
>>
>> What is the concensus on what color the frame of a 1967 Spit Mk3 should be?
>> Are we talking body color or black or white or what?  I know that Triumph
>> had a penchant for using any paint on hand if they ran out of chassis color
>> but what is the normal chassis color?
>
>IMS, Spitfires, like other Herald-based cars, were color painted once
>"completely" assembled (less trim and mechanicals, of course). So, almost
>without exception, the chassis frame is body color. If you've ever
>separated the tub from the chassis of a relatively clean and unrusted
>Spitfire, you're likely to find body color on most all of the chassis,
>with the exception of the top surfaces of the chassis, where the color
>didn't usually reach. Those surfaces will likely be black.

And this is exactly what I found, except there were two layers of color
on top of the black (white and then blue).

>> I have run into a couple of interesting things doing the frame-off on my
>> Spit Mk3 (1967).  I have found that the vehicle has had a couple of
>> restorations, the frame has at least two different layers of paint on
>> it!  And does anyone think Triumph would have used a very late 1966 frame
>> on a very early 1967 Spit?  My chassis has two numbers on it, an FC and an
>> FD number, the FC number is in the 91K area.  The more likely answer is
>> that during an earlier restoration a 1966 frame was slid under the 1967
>> car.
>
>Some components did continue the FC numbering after the introduction of
>the Mk.3 (FD commission numbers). As the bonnet hinge pivots, etc., are
>different at the front, it's not likely a Mk.2 chassis would have been
>used on your car unless it was a: modified for the later bonnet pivots or
>b: you have a Mk.2 bonnet on your car.

The car has a Mk. 3 bonnet (although I like the looks of the Mk. 2
front-end better) and the front of the chassis has been modified for
the later bonnet pivots.  This modification looks very well done and
the holes are very exact in spacing, leading me to believe that the
holes were not drilled with your average hand drill.

>> And one other thing, is the commissioning number plate always on the left
>> side above the body number plate?  I ran into one the other day that had
>> the Comm plate on the RIGHT side, but everthing else was in the correct
>> place, and all of the numbers were in the correct ranges, and the number
>> plates looked legitimate.
>
>Long ago I learned "never to say never" with anything regarding Triumphs,
>but the Spitfire's commission number and body number plates would always
>be on the left (near) side of the scuttle panel. One major exception to
>that is the 1970 and later "federal" Spitfires, where the Commission
>number plate moved to the driver's side "B" post.
>
>--Andy

Looking at this vehicle I am reasonably sure that the Comm plate has
been replaced, there is no Trim Code or Paint Code stamped on it.

Is there any way to tell if this Comm plate is one of those sold by
TRF/Vicky Brit/Moss etc?

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
   or: darrell_leach-mti@echo.chinalake.navy.mil
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   28,000 miles
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   in work
1984 GL1200A GoldWing   128,000 miles  (go figure)