Re: GT6 questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 questions
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:02:52 -0700
Cc: twakeman@scruznet.com
There's a moderately complete GT6 buyer's guide at

        http://www.vtr.org/GT6/GT6-buying.html

That should get you going pretty well. To answer your specific
questions:

The gauges should all be Smith's or Lucas. The GT6+ only came with
four: speedo, tach, fuel and temp. Temp is not typically calibrated.
All should be orange needles, the smaller gauges with needles pointing
down.  It is not uncommon for the speedos to be swapped out when they
fail for one with the wrong ratio - O/D cars had the 3.89 rear end
ratio and need a different speedo than the non-O/D cars with the 3.27
diff.

There should be a fibreboard shroud (just a simple flat piece, not as
complex as on a 3 or 4) on either side of the radiator.  There should
also be a complete set of side pieces around the engine.  The side
pieces are only really interesting for concours; I don't think they do
a lot for cooling. The pieces near the rad are important, but I made
some up out of aluminum sheet. It's important to have some sort of
arrangement around the radiator to force air through it; the cars are
marginally cooled at best. I added an oil cooler to help this problem,
but that's another story.

Thngs to check - tranny noise. Diff noise. Rotoflexes. Those are the
things that fail most often. The rotoflex couplings are a nuisance to
change.

Since you're in California, make sure that the PO gets you a smog
certificate. The '70 should have a carbon canister, PCV valve, and both
advance and retard lines to the distributor.

Brakes on this car should be fine, but not overwhelming when stock.  I
changed to Teflon lines and like that - then I changed to carbon fiber
pads and liked it even more... I've made lots of changes, some big,
some little - check out

        http://www.dimebank.com/Bubbaspec.html

for all the details.