Re: What kind of welder should I buy?

To: Mark Gendron <markge@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Re: What kind of welder should I buy?
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 15:44:27 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark Gendron wrote:

> I need to get back to work on my TR2, and I have lots of panel welding
> to do. I expect to buy a MIG welder of some sort. Any recommendations on
> brands, or brands to avoid? Is there any significant advantage to 220v
> over 110v? I'm willing to wire my garage for 220v if I can get better
> welds that way (or if welding will be easier).
>
> Thanks
> -mg

Mark,

If you are going to buy a mig welder get one that uses gas as the
shielding element.  You can get one that uses the shielded wire but they
don't do as good of a job.  I bought a century (good size old company)
from Sams.  It was  considerably cheaper than a Lincoln or Miller and
will do just as good of a job.  If you get one that uses the "Tweco" gun
the parts are pretty universal as most of the good ones use the same
brand. The most frequent replaced part is the gun tip.  Mine requires a
30A 240V service but I am getting by with a extention cord off of the
breaker in my A/C.

It would be more portable to have a little smaller one that uses 120v but
it won't weld as thick metal.  If you are just doing body work a smaller
unit would be great and you can weld thicker metal with multiple passes
if its not too big. I can weld 1/4" easy with a single pass with my 130A
unit.  I have also a 6kw generator and a 120 to 240 volt transformer to
make it portable.

The Sams unit comes with everything (cheap helment) except the gas tank.
You need Co2/Argon mix for most welding and Argon for aluminum. You will
have to get a Teflon liner for the gun to use aluminum though (to keep
the aluminum wire from balling up in the feed).

You can get a small tank  "R" size cylinder that will work for small jobs
but it will have to be refilled pretty often if you do much.  I got the
next size up(can't remember the size - 80 to 100 cu ft)?  The small tank
is good for the pure Argon as you probably won't weld as much Aluminum.

Between my Mig and  Gas welder I can handle most everything I need.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC
Tupelo, MS (5 acres in NC for retirement next year)