Re: Aftermarket Oil Gauges

To: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Oil Gauges
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 08:32:09 -0400 "Aftermarket Oil Gauges" (May 6, 9:12pm)
> Subject: Aftermarket Oil Gauges
> I was contemplating installing an aftermarket oil gauge in my 76 spitfire.
>
> Question> anyone have any recommendations for sender location or gauge type.
>
> I am looking to install a mechanical gauge and I was thinking of a location
> in the cylinder head for the sender. Does anyone know of a good location in
> the factory head? Should I think about installing in the block instead?
>
> I would really like to leave the idiot light sender alone - lights are
> useful at times and I really hate disconnecting stock equipment.
>
> I appreciate everyone's consideration/input.
>
> Mark Townsend
> Rochester, NH (Near Portsmouth)
> 76 Spitfire
> 87 Turbo Quattro
> ******************
> * Mark Townsend  *
> * markt@tiac.net *
> ******************
>-- End of excerpt from Mark Townsend

Mark,

The best place to tap for the oil pressure sender is the block. Just put
a tee fitting in line with the existing pressure sensor. I have in my
Spit a Smiths dual gauge from a MG or Midget (don't remember which). This
is in place of the existing temp gauge, and looks like it belongs there.
The only other part that you need to get is an adapter for the mechanical
sending unit for temperature. The late Midgets with the 1500 engine have
this adapter. I don't have a part number for either piece, but someone
else might have it.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
1973 Spitfire 1500