TR6 Steering Rack

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Steering Rack
From: "Mike Hooper" <hooper@genrad.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 16:46:54 +0100
Hi all,

I've just re-subscribed to this list after a long absence, I was
prompted to by a problem I have with my TR6 steering rack.

The rack has excessive play resulting in the steering wheel
having about an inch and a half of rotational play at the rim.
I understand that the pinion to rack setting can be adjusted
by replacing shims behind the big bolt that sits on top of the
rack/pinion housing. I've read the Haynes manual method for
adjusting the shims and it involves separating the ball joints,
I want to avoid this if possible ( I've had enough bad
experiences with ball joints thank you!). Does anyone have a
quick-fix method of getting to the correct shim setting?

Thanks for any help.

Mike Hooper
'74 TR6
Manchester