TR3B heater pipe/hose question

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3B heater pipe/hose question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 12:52:59 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I was staring at my TR3B last night (didn't help; it's still a numbers-
matching hulk at least 1000 hours away from being a car again) and
noticed something I'd never noticed before. I'm wondering how much of a
DPO bodge it might be.

IMS, the little garden hose-style valve stands upright out of the head,
with the green handle on top. On my car, it lies flat with the handle
pointing at about one o'clock, assuming the front of the car is twelve
o'clock. It connects via a pipe to a T fitting that goes into the block
where I assumed the valve normally goes. The another very short piece of
pipe connects to an elbow, sending yet another very short piece of pipe
out at about four o'clock, to the rubber hose itself.

Is this, as I imagine it must be, some bizarre attempt to "improve" the
system, or have other TR3B (or 3A, or...) owners seen such a setup on
their cars?

It doesn't appear that this poor beast suffered many other indignities of
this type, although the (I'm guessing here) long ago telephone pole crash/
rollover/abandonment/stripping of the car didn't do it much good, either! :-)

Any thoughts?

--Andy