Re: test drive

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, jedmund@lsbsdi2.lightspeed.net
Subject: Re: test drive
From: iani@tcp.co.uk
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 10:17:38 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <iani@popmail.tcp.co.uk>
In addition to the standard checks for blue smoke on startup,
rumbling from the crankcase etc, I would pay particular attention to
handling on bends. If the car feels at all "twitchy" I would pay
particular attention to the rotoflex couplings on the rear
driveshafts.

If these are worn/split, I would make sure that the price reflects
the high cost of replacing these components, especially if you would
be having a garage do the work for you.

The temperature guage should sit happily in the middle and if an oil
pressure guage is fitted I would like to see c80psi at startup,
40-60psi @ 2000rpm when hot, idle c35psi when hot. If the oil
pressure warning light stays on for more than 3 or 4 seconds, check
to see if the engine has an aftermarket oil filter assembly fitted,
if not fitting one will usually improve this situation.

If the car seems to make a lot of creaking noise from the rear, the
spring may be worn, this is a pain to replace.

Regards

Ian
GT6 mkII
2000 mkI