RE: How Loud...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: How Loud...
From: Murry J Mercier <mercierm@battelle.org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:16:03 -0400 (EDT)
     This was an older thread but I finally got around to running some
     crude sound level checks with my trusty Radio Shack sound level meter,
     left over from my 'audiophile' days.

     Here are the results:

     1990 Toyota Camry LE V6 @ 65, windows up             ~70db

     1973 TR6 @ 45 4th/OD, top down side road, no traffic ~80db
              @ 65 4th/OD, top down freeway, no traffic   ~90db
              @ 65 4th/OD, top down freeway, car traffic  >90db

     'Threshold of Pain'                                 ~110db

     Notes:     Muffler by Walker (per PO)
                Tonneau cover on passenger side,
                Mike aimed forward on tonneau edge @ gear shift
                'A' Weighting, to eliminate low frequency energy
                Meter from Radio Shack, Cat. No. 33-2050
                4.11 diff & OD: 45 mph=~1900 rpm & 65 mph=~2800 rpm Running
                the Gears, shift @ 3000 rpm, adds < 5db
                '~' means db readings fluctuate widely, i.e.. > +/- 3db

     <> Is any one interested in the results if I extend and refine this
     exercise?

     I have a friend with a Monza exhaust and as soon as his 73 TR6 is on
     the road I may try to get similar level readings.

     <> Has any one attempted or know of references for similar checks with
     other mufflers/conditions?

     Murry Mercier
     CF10027U 73 TR6

     Getting ready for the 'River-Run' on 5/31
     (a 240 mile 'fast' drive from Columbus to the Ohio River, cross on the
     ferry @ Fly, OH...etc and back to Columbus)