TR6 horns don't work

To: "'Triumphs Digest'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 horns don't work
From: "LANOWAY, BRIAN" <Brian_Lanoway@Standardaero.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 13:35:23 -0500
Hi everyone:

I've just spent more than a few hours trying to get the twin horns to
work on my TR6.  The wiring color codes and relay connections appears
to be correct (according to the wiring diagram in my owner's manual)
and the horn relay (brand new) clicks loudly when I push the horn
button.  When I connect either horn directly to the positive terminal
on my battery, I get a reluctant sound (ie it seems to take a lot of
current to get a hesitant sound out of the damn things).  I've got all
the correct ground straps on the steering column/box and I've cleaned
all the terminals on the relay and horns.  The horns on the car have a
plastic housing and don't appear to have the adjustment screw on their
upper housings per my Hayes manual.  Despite all this, I've never
gotten a sound out of either horn when I push the horn button.  Any
ideas?

Brian Lanoway
73 TR6 CF 6985U