TR3 - nasty habit#1 - cold start stalling downhill

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 - nasty habit#1 - cold start stalling downhill
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
The TR-3A has three possibly relatged stalling problems when started
with the engine cold (even on reasonably warm days).

1.  With full choke, after starting, it revs to about 1500, then
steadily slows down until it stalls.  After restarting a couple of
times, it eventually hangs in there.

2.  When I back down the steep hill in front of the house, it
invariably stalls, leaving me without power in the middle of the road.
To add insult to injury, it's then difficult to start again.  I
theorize that this has something to do with an inability of the fuel
pump to get the juice uphill to the carbs.

3.  Driving downhill for any distance when the engine is cold is
accompanied by repeated stall outs at stop signs and traffic lights.

A compensating observation:

While it takes a *long* time for the engine to warm up, it doesn't
need to be running all that time; i.e., if I run it for ten minutes,
it runs fine.  Also, if I run it for five and leave it for five, it
runs fine when I restart.

Are these normal behaviors?  If not, what might be going on?

Thanks.

John Cowan

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/