Importing a TR2 to the US

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Importing a TR2 to the US
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:01:49 -0400
>>> I'm moving to the US (from Switzerland) this year and I'm wondering
>>> what I need to do to import my '55 TR2. It's a RHD car.
>>> Do I need to do any conversion or emission tests ?
>
>I thought that all cars had to have seat belts regardless of the age??
>A state law??

Nope.  Because my 1960 TR3A came without any belts, and we wanted to drive
it right away with the kids, I called up the NJ DOT.  I was directed to the
officer who handles safety for the entire state.  He strongly recommended
belts and was glad I was going to put them in, but very clearly stated that
seat belt laws were NOT retroactive and that pre-seatbelt year cars were
protected (or not protected, ;-) ) from this requirement.  This kids did not
require car seats either, as there were no seat belts to attach to.

I have added seat belts and am curently working on fabricating shoulder
harnesses for the kids in the occasional seat.

Jack