[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: American 8 spokes]]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: American 8 spokes]]
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 10:52:12 -0700
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 10:49:23 -0700
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
To: "Don J. Howard" <DHoward@jht.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: American 8 spokes]

Don J. Howard wrote:

> Dean C. Paige wrote:
> >
> > Subject: Re: American 8 spokes
> > Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 08:23:02 -0700
> > From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
> > To: "C. Tucker" <catucker@vnet.net>
> >
> > C. Tucker wrote:
> > >
> > > Dean, Thanks for the hard to find advice.
> > > I didn't realize how few of these wheels were out there.
> > > I suppose I will post a note on the list asking for spinners.
> > > Probably will be a futile attempt, though.
> > >
> > > Thanks again, and if you would happen to run into
> > > a spinner or two, for either side, let me know.  If I happen
> > > to run across a stash, I'll let you know.
> > >
> > > Charles Tucker
> >
> > A little more information could'nt hurt. There are two eared spinners
> > available that will fit right side American 8 spokes. Any big tire and
> > wheel store should be able to get them for you. Further since they come
> > equipped with a allen screw for locking to the wheel they can be adapted
> > to fit the left sides. All this involves is grinding down the threads on
> > the inside of the spinner to a point where it can be pushed over the left
> > hand threads and locked onto the wheel with the allen screw.
> >
> > Now for the purists this is not quite kosher. If you are lucky enough to
> > own an intact set of four spinners you know that the pitch on the ears is
> > also reversed right vs left. This will not be the case with the available
> > replacements. However, the replacements still look a hell of a lot better
> > than nothing at all or broken originals. I believe that American still
> > makes wheels and they might have some ideas on this. Anybody have a
> > location or number?
> >
> > Whats more, there are reverse threaded three eared spinners available.
> > These hoever are a bit ornate and as far as I can tell are used almost
> > exclusively by the low rider contingent in California.
> Are these spinners used to hold the wheels on?  An allen screw doesn't
> seem sufficient to actually drive the car.  Is this recommendation
> supported by American.

Silly boy,

Duh! Do you really believe that one driving Triumph cars for thirty years
would recommend such a thing. American 8 spokes were bolt on wheels. The
spinners were strictly ornamental and the set screw is completely
sufficient for the job. Been using the method for the last 15 years or so
since original equipment has become as scarce as hens teeth. Haven't lost
a wheel yet.