FW: Engine Balancing (TR6)

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Engine Balancing (TR6)
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:44:13 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [DUHART JOHN
<duhart.nyhub@symbol.com>]]

     Date: Tue, 17 Jun 97 14:48:48 -0400
     From: DUHART JOHN <duhart.nyhub@symbol.com>
     Subject: Engine Balancing (TR6)

Hey All,

        Well I just had my engine balanced.  They required the crank, damper,
flywheel, pistons, conrods, and conrod bearings.  My question is this,
how is weigh normally removed to balance the whole thing?  They got the
pistons and conrods to each be the same weight.  Weight was removed from
the flywheel and damper by drilling  1/8 to 1/4 inch wholes in the
appropriate spots.  This surprised me but I really don't know what other
way this could of been done.

        He is also claiming that since all the pistons&conrods now weight the
same it doesn't matter what order I put them in as long as I keep each
piston and conrod as a set.  This surprised me but seems to make sense.
What do you think?

P.S.  I had this work done because when I disassembled the engine it was
obvious that piston&conrod #4 was not original to the engine.  The guy at
the machine shop said that this piston&conrod were 20 grams heavier than
the rest.