cam keeper plate for TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cam keeper plate for TR6
From: Mike Brinker <mbrinker@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 11:39:29 -0400
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I am rebuilding a 73 TR6 engine.  I have had to purchase a new
replacement cam which I believe is original stock.  It is not a modified
cam (performance cam).  I have installed the cam and was putting on the
keeper plate with the two bolts.  Before tightening the bolts down, the
cam was able to move freely.  Once I tighten the bolts down, the cam is
very difficult to move.  I put on the cam timming chain sprocket to move
the cam and found it hard to turn. I was told by a reputable source that
the cam should move freely and the bolts to the keeper plate should be
very tight.  How many lbs?  I am using the original keeper plate which
shows some signs of wear where it rubs against the cam.  I am using the
bently book for assembly instructions and find no mention or any helpful
hints regarding the cam keeper plate situation.  Any suggestions?  I
really need to hear from someone who has rebuilt there engine and or
knows what they are talking about.
After I get past this small bump, I will be preparing to time the cam.
Any elaborations would be helpful.

Thanks for your help in advance.............Mike (S.E. Michigan)