Quandry (little LBC content)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Quandry (little LBC content)
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 08:36:45 -0400
Folks,

We have faced the facts, the Clough ranch needs another big car.  Just one
big (well, it's a Chevy Blazer, so it's kinda big, relative to a TR7) vehicle
is not enough since Alice drives it and I usually can't stick my purchases in
the TR4 or TR7s.  But...it just can't be any big car, it must be unique.
So...we went out this weekend looking for cars that were easy to maintain,
low mileage, relatively inexpensive, original, and somewhat unique.  Here's
the wheet we culled from the chaff:

1970 Impala 4-door sedan.  Your typical little old lady car.  Excellent
interior, well maintained exterior.  Dime-sized rust spot in lower front
fender quarter, besides that, no rust at all.  350 w/automatic.  Exterior
paint faded.  Charcoal grey w/blue interior.  65K miles, $2500.  My father
in law would like this car.

1965 Impala.  327 V8 w/auto trannie.  4-door sedan, but has no "B" post.
Exterior has been repainted, good original interior.  Blue w/blue interior,
minimal rust in trunk.  Runs like a top.  54K miles, $4200.

1949 Ford 4-door sedan.  Flat head six, 3-speed manual.  Good body with just
a hint of rust starting. Original paint.  Fresh engine and transmission.
Used to be owned buy the Knoxville (TN) Police Chief, original Sun Visor, new
interior. Maroon w/black interior   Needs wiring harness work, but electrics
work. 47K miles, $4900 but will deal.

1967 Chysler Newport.  Four door, big V8 & auto trannie.  Exterior good with
slight surface rust on corners (but no rust through).  Underneath it's
excellent. Runs fine. Been stored in a barn, and smells like it.  Green
w/black interior.  Everything works including the air conditioning.  Alice's
comment was "this is big and ugly without any unique features".  I commented
that it had an excellent tow hitch!  48K miles, $2600.

1967 Pontiac Executive (Tempest?). 4-door, 400 ci w/ automatic (of course),
blue w/ blue interior.  Originally from North Carolina.  No rust whatsoever,
never been undercoated.  Another "little old man" car.  Ran like a top.
Needed paint, but interior excellent.  Radio antenna broke, and horns didn't
work.  24K miles, $3500.

1960 Chevy Impala.  4-door, 283 ci w/auto trannie.  Blue w/blue interior.
Original exterior paint, original interior.  Some minimal rust in bottom of
rear door back corners, been repaired in quarter panels, but they did a good
job. Sound frame. Some surface rust starting to show near/under trim strips.
Excellent interior, everything works.  Drives nice, but will need new exhaust.
73K miles, $5000.

1960 Buick LeSabre.  2-door, 384 ci w/auto trannie.  Dark green w/light green
interior. Original everything, even tires.  Runs fine, no rust on body, never
undercoated.  Will need seat upholstery work and exhaust. 32K miles, $6000.

I'm leaning toward the LeSabre - what a beaut!  I'm a bit scared about the
drive system.  It looks like the drive shaft is enclosed from the trannie to
the diff.  Any problems with these units?  My second choice would be the 60
Chevy due to its looks (I can deal with the rust).  The Pontiac would be an
excellent car for someone needing a ride, but it, and the other Impalas are
just too normal for me.

WARNING:  If I get one of these both our TR7s will be going up for sale
since I'll need the room to berth these land barges.  The one is my daily
driver '81, the other is that green '79 coupe that I bought from an old
Leyland dealer with 200 miles on it just last year.  Now it has 5300 miles
on it, but they were pampered miles!  I'll post more info after I make up my
mind.

Ciao,

Bruce Clough