TR6 vacuum valve

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 vacuum valve
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 03:32:38 PST
Cc: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
I am replacing the thermostatic vacuum switch (TVS) in my car which has a
'74 TR6 engine in it.  I was unable to find one like the original, so
European Sports Car Garage in Sacramento CA got a Borg-Warner replacement for
me (EC2923 Ported Vacuum Switch) that is claimed to function the same.  I want
to make sure I am hooking it up correctly, since the ports are labelled
differently and I am not 100% sure the original switch is connected
correctly as a model (at least one was surely wrong:  smog mechanics
three years ago hooked an EGR connection up to the port I believe is
supposed to remain open as a vent.  I only discovered this recently).

Here is how the original TVS is labelled and how I think it is supposed to
be connected:
                    top
                    ---
               D     O         -distributer retard

               O     O         -2 upper carbs via a fuel trap

       open-  M     O O    F1  -lower front carb via a fuel trap

The Borg-Warner replacement is labelled thusly (where again the "O"s
represent the ports):

                     O                Should I make the attachments as above?
                        M             I assume "V" is "vacuum," but it could
                     O                also be "vent."  Otherwise, I do not
                    H V               understand the letters either on the
                    O O               original or the replacement.
                    1 2

Thank you in advance (and retard),

Richard Breedon
'74 TVR 2500M
'87 MB 190E (2.6l)
'87 Volvo 240DL
'36 Ford V8  (Hey, it was my great-grandfather's...)