Old ads

Subject: Old ads
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 18:24:21 EDT
Cc: joe@wgate.com (Joe Augenbraun), nitpickers@aol.com (ALJ/HPJ)
My cousins and I came across the Feb 14th, 1965 New York Times wrapping
some old dished (complete business and sports sections).  In the classifieds,
there are large ads for:

A _REAL_ SPORTS CAR - Not Just "Sporty" Looking!
for only $2199 delivered
The 1965 Triumph Spitfire
Designed and built in the incomparable TRIUMPH
tradition of British precision manufacture... the
SPITFIRE is a real sports car with every conceivable
sports car feature.  Disc brakes...4-wheel independent
suspension...4-speed stick...Twin carbs...
Rack and pinion steering...roll up windows.

Unsurpassed in its class in maneuverability, accelleration,
roadability and dashing appearance.  Why
settle for less than the "champ" (S.C.C.A. winner)?

[Picture of Tiger at speed]
Art Arfons,
fastest man on earth,
owns the Sunbeam Tiger:
world's fastest sports
car for $3499*
(detachable hard-top also available) [small type]

Britain contributed the racing chassis.  America provided the
mighty Ford V-8 power plant.  The men in England
who build the famed Sunbeam sports cars put chassis
and engine together to create the hottest car to hit 1965.
Test the Tiger's cat-quick reflexes.  Touch the throttle
and get the ride of your life.

'65 Sunbeam Tiger
        by ROOTES of England

(* whitewalls optional extra)
     MG
Austin-Healey

    MGB
is noisier than a Rolls Royce (and Ford too)
THANK GOODNESS!
[rest of ad deleted]

NSU PRINZ
SPORT
by Bertone

$1998

Famous design.  Elegant.  Racy.  Fastback.
Aircooled OHC engine.  Well Heated.
Disc brakes.  Tacho.
[etc]
BUY
   Crysler Corporation's
lowest price car for -- $1595
   SIMCA
1965 '1000' 4-door Sedan
[etc]
SALE
SKODA
Family sedans
$1225 fully equipped
Optional semi-automatic transmission for
clutch-free driving ... $100 extra.
12-month, 12000 mile warrantee.
[etc]
For 1965
GM's
lowest-
priced
wagon
$1793
24/24 warrantee
30MPG
  OPEL
  KADETT
[etc]
'61 Porche Super 90 convertible for $2495
Triumph '65
1200 Family Sports Convertible
$1949 delivered
---------------------------------
Triumph Abarth 1964
------------------------------
TR-4 1965 Triumph
$2849 delivered
----------------------------
'61 Rolls Silver Cloud $9500
----------------------------
Porsche 1957 Speedster 1600S $1250/bo
-----------------------------
MGB's 1965 roadsters, wire wheels, Blk, Red, Blue
Damaged in transit $1500-$2000
--------------------------------------
'63 Midget $1100
-----------------------
A rover ad - land rover, Rover 2000, and Mark II
---------------------------------
Duesenberg SL
-----------------------
1927 Bugatti Type 40, boat-decked, mint, $2500
-------------------------
1928 Bentley 4.5l Lemans Touret
------------------------
1954 Kaiser Darrin $2000
---------------------0--
1929 Nash straight-8
--------------------------
1937 Rolls 25/30 Park Ward $2000
1936 Bentley 4.25l $2000
------------------------
1963 Cobra, low price, full competition with trailer
--------------------------
1962 Ferrari Berlinatta SCCA "B" prod  $8500
---------------------------
1964 Jaguar XKE roadster $4195
-------------------------
1962 Daimler SP250 $1695
------------------------
1958 Aston Martin DB 2-4 Mk III-A, DBA engine, coupe.  Exc. $2795
-----------------------
1962 AH 3000 $1995
---------------------------
1963 Austin Cooper immaculate $995
-----------------------
1957 AH 100-6, OD, WW, $1050
Facel Vega HK500  1960 $3000
1965 Griffith  0-60 4.8s!  FOB $3995!  Ford 289 pwr, 138" long
& handles!   Eats other cars.

Now, where did I put that time machine?  ;-)

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com