1979 Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1979 Spitfire
From: John_Gray@albint.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:38:00 -0400
I've recently begun the process of doing a "body-off" restoration of my '79
Spitfire.  It has been garaged for 9 years and is in reasonably fair shape.
I tried to move the engine by hand and it slips easily for about 3/4 turn
and then gets hung up.  The transmission is in the neutral position.  When
it comes to a stop, it emits a sliding clunk sound.  With the rocker arm
removed, I have watched the action of the push rods and they all move fine
except for 7 and 8.  Given that it has only rotated 3/4 of a revolution, I
wonder if the valves are causing the problem or if it hasn't rotated enough
to open them.  Any thoughts on what could be hanging it up.  This weekend
was going to be dedicated to suspension work, but maybe I'll pull the head
and take an inside look.