Re: Clutch puzzler for today- TR6boundary="PART.BOUNDARY.0.17831.emout01

To: mmason@lindenwood.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch puzzler for today- TR6boundary="PART.BOUNDARY.0.17831.emout01.mail.aol.com.868983072"
From: TRFmail@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:12:01 -0400 (EDT)
--PART.BOUNDARY.0.17831.emout01.mail.aol.com.868983072

Please see the attached file regarding clutch problems on the TR6.

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.17831.emout01.mail.aol.com.868983072

Dear Triumph List,
=0D
   I have noted a current thread regarding clutch problems on Triumph TR6=
 models.  These have been a long-term problem, and we at The Roadster Fac=
tory have taken some steps to solve them.
=0D
   Originally, TR6's were made with either Laycock or Borg and Beck clutc=
hes.  The Laycock was the best in our opinion, and we rarely had problems=
 with Laycock clutches.  Regrettably, it has been a number of years since=
 Laycock was sold and the original clutch discontinued.  Quinton-Hazell t=
ried making TR6 clutches, but there were constant problems, and eventuall=
y Quinton-Hazell discontinued TR6 clutches, although all of their other c=
lutches seem to be o.k.  We at TRF have had variable success with Borg an=
d Beck.  Often they work perfectly.  Sometimes, the system seems to be in=
 perfect condition, but the gearbox grinds from day one.
=0D
   When working with TR6 clutch systems, there are a number of precaution=
s.  First, make sure that hydraulic components are working perfectly.  To=
o little travel on the slave cylinder push rod results in grinding gears.=
  Second, make sure there is not excessive crank shaft end float in the e=
ngine.  This is a serious engine problem if it exists, but it will cause =
ineffectual clutch disengagement.  Thirdly, make sure of the gearbox.  Ro=
ughness or distortion can cause it to hang up.  Fourthly, make sure there=
 is little or no play in all linkage.  Replace cross shaft bushes, replac=
e work cross shafts, replace worn throw-out forks.  Fit a new taper pin. =
 The Roadster Factory has developed a simple tool for installing the thro=
w-out bearing to the sleeve at home.  This tool is approved by the bearin=
g manufacturer, and it costs just $10.82 under part no. RFT 121.
=0D
   You can do all of the above and still have your new clutch not work.  =
For this reason, we at The Roadster Factory have developed a new clutch f=
rom advise received from Dean Houston at British Sportscar Center in Boca=
 Raton, Florida and from J. K. Jackson in Tallahassee.  Our system includ=
es a pressure plate of European manufacture and a Japanese throw-out bear=
ing from a heavy-duty application.  In addition to the three-piece clutch=
, our system requires replacement of various linkage components.  We call=
ed this new system an "experimental clutch" for several years, but now th=
at we have sold several hundred without any problems, we call it a "magic=
 clutch."  Everything is described and listed in our new 1997 Triumph Sum=
mer Companion.  If you didn't receive this in the mail, you can request a=
 copy by mail, fax, telephone, or e-mail:
=0D
The Roadster Factory, P.O. Box 332, Armagh, PA  15920
=0D
FAX   814-446-6729 =

=0D
Phone  800-234-1104
=0D
e-mail   TRFmail@aol.com
=0D
   Watch for our new web site at www.the-roadster-factory.com which is cu=
rrently under design, but will be up over the next few weeks.  =

=0D
   Hope you are enjoying your cars with the great summer weather.
=0D
Regards,
Charles A. Runyan

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.17831.emout01.mail.aol.com.868983072--