Reqeust for information regarding ignition problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Reqeust for information regarding ignition problem
From: TASTAG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 01:22:23 -0400 (EDT)
     July 16, 1997

     To all lbc owners, Help! I've got an ignition problem and I can't get up
(and running).

     I would appreciate any suggestions, information regarding testing
procedures for my ignition problem. I have a 1973 Stage Mark II, with Lucas
dual points. The car was running, I then proceeded to wash the engine
compartment, the car was runing after washing it. Once I turned off the
engine, I haven't been able to get it started again. I checked and I'm not
getting a spark to the plugs, nor am I getting a spark from the
coil/distributor lead.
     I checked the cap and rotor and they seem fine. I took the points out
and cleaned them, they looked fine. I know I am getting 12 volts from the
battery to the coil positive and negative poles  on the primary Circuit.  I
have tested the coil and I believe it is fine.
     I have used a test light across the coil and I think the points are
shorting out, but frankly, with the dual points I am not sure whether it's
just that one point is closing (which is should) while the other is opening
or if the points really are shorting by a bad condensor.  I am also thinking
of just running a wire from the points and by passing the condensor, just to
see if I can get a spark from the coil.
     I would greatly apreciate any suggestions, the more detailed the
better,( i.e. connect test light across coil low voltage circuit poles, ect.)
 in how to test the points, coil and condensor. I have some suspicions
regarding the condensor. Also,  could there be a wire somewhere thats not
connected or that I do not know about. All wires that I can see from the top
look fine. I have confirmed the wires connected to the coil are correct ( I
have a Stag Repair Book with a wiring diagram, but It's not very good
regarding diagnostics.

     Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance.

     Joe D. at TASTAG@aol.com