TR250/6 Suspension brackets

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR250/6 Suspension brackets
From: "David J. McElroy" <mcelroy@ntplx.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:32:08 -0400
While having a grand old time rebuilding the front suspension of my
TR-250 for the first time, I noticed that the infamous left/rear
suspension bracket is cracked in several places.  I put a very big screw
driver into one of the bracket's four holes and applied some force to
the bracket, just to see how loose it was.  Oh oh, it is actually quite
bad off, moving around a few millimeters.

Now I have to think about how I can repair this bracket problem, but
I've never dealt with frame problems before. I've been thinking of four
possibilities...

1. Get the welding guy with the truck to come and fix it "in situ."
2. Stick the car on a truck and bring it to a frame/welding place
3. Get a new frame (significant PO frame repairs; most good, some fair)
4. Sell the car to someone who can give this car proper care.

If I do option #1 or option #2, I suppose I should purchase the
replacement bracket & "strengthening plates"?  I guess that the existing
cracked bracket really should be disposed of.

At this point the car is not worth a huge investment of money, so I'd
like to defer replacing the frame (see option #3) until some later
date.  At the same time, I'd like to keep the car running, because I
love it so (see option #4).  (It's the old "love without enough money
or time" situation.  yuk.)

Any advice? thanks,
dave

--- dave mcelroy; suffield ct, usa; mcelroy@ntplx.net ---