TR4? (was Re: Commission)

To: n196x@mindspring.com
Subject: TR4? (was Re: Commission)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Richard,  I'll answer your questions within your message below.

> Art,
>  Thanks for the input on my TR-4(?). The Com. # on that little plate reads
>  "54153 CT"

That is the body number.  The commission number starts with a CT and is on
the driver's side of the car.  The one you quoted is on the passenger's side,
right?  Anyway, the body # is a TR4A number and is probably off a car built
in '65.  BUT the commission numbers and the body numbers do not normally
match exactly.  So give me the commission number and I can tell you more.
 Also if the comm # is a CT it was a rigid axle car (TR4 or TR4A) - if CTC it
was an independent rear suspension (IRS) and a TR4A.

> The rear axle was a rigid TR-3 type until I replaced it with with a
>  full width TR-4 one.

So it was shorter by about 3inches before you replaced it?  Reason I ask is
that the difference between the TR3 and TR4 rear axles was 3inches because
the TR4 had a wider body.  The TR4A rigid axle was identical to the TR4 axle
although the frames were different.

> The 1996 info came off of the Title. Inasmuch as the
>  car sat for 17 years in a barn serving as a mouse and roach hotel, I know
>  nothing about its history.

I have found that many TR's were titled after sitting in a dealer's showroom,
and, depending on when the car was delivered, were titled when sold.

> The front clip was replaced somewhere along the
>  line and the grille, I am told, is a TR-4A type.

The TR4A grille has one vertical bar between the headlamps.  The TR4 looks
like it has three, although the whole grill is a stamped single piece of
aluminum.

> The rear insignia says simply TR 4.

The previous owner(s) could have replaced the whole trunk lid (they are
identical for both models) or just the badge.  Rigid axle TR4A's had "TR4A"
 and IRS TR4A's had "TR4A" with "IRS" underneath it. (without the quotes, of
course).

> The bump on the hood does not go all the way back to the
>  trailing edge; it stops several inches short.

Sometime in '62 the TR4 hood bump was lengthened to go all the way back to
the rear edge of the hood.  The hood dimensions were the same, except for the
bulge and the emblem, from '61 (first TR4) through the later TR4's and the
TR4A's.  The TR4A had a circular globe emblem on the hood.   What does yours
have?

> What other clues are there for me to look for.

Where was the "front clip" welded?  It sounds like you have maybe several
cars.  Also take a look at the frame - they are completely different between
the TR4 and the TR4A.  The 4A has a large "bridge" type cross member where
the differential is. . (The TR4 frame was just a wider TR3 frame - made wider
by welding 2inch box sections on each side of the front box section of the
chasis rails).  The TR4A frame was made specifically to accomodate the IRS.
  But the rigid axle TR4A was a cross bred frame to accomodate the solid two
piece axle.

> Obviously the Title is not a good source and the Commisssion number could
have come with the front clip.

Right.  But I hope you think that it is as much fun as I think it is to get
it all sorted out.

>  Yesterday I sent in my Application and $'s for the VTR. Thanks for you
help
>  and interest in these old cars.
>  Richard

Welcome to the VTR.  That, and the "triumph list," will be of great help for
you.
And you're welcome.  As I said "this is fun."

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L, body # 33172CT, original engine #CT33424E (see
how they differ - more on that later - if you care)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant