Spitfire Batteries

Subject: Spitfire Batteries
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 97 14:16:56 PDT
Looking for a battery for my Spitfire, and have found that the batteries for
the car seem not to be stocked by the local places.   Also seems to be a
difference of opinion regarding the size that is usable.

So I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.   What are the sizes people are
using?  Most books say Group 81 (now try finding THAT on a Sunday!), or a Group
24 (but some say you CAN'T use a 24 in a Spit!) . Others say a 26R will fit.
I know a Group 42 fits 'cause I borrowed one from my Lotus to start the car.

What are the "safe" size limits, especially height?   I come up with 7" deep by
9.5" wide. Height may only be around 7" to the top of the terminals, as the
tubular support frame for the bonnet passes over the battery on the outboard
side. (Mine is rusted from corrosion so I know its a tight fit.)

Also, any bargain sources out there?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit