Another one hits the dust!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another one hits the dust!
From: vitesse@juno.com (Hugh R McAleer)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:49:35 EDT
A few weeks ago I asked the list about a GT6 I had found.  The GT6 is in
it's new owners hands and he is making some progress on it.

A little history on the car.  The PO had gotten it very early in its life
but for one reason or another, he stopped driving it and left it sit
outside for about 8 years.  It was picked up for $300 and looked to me to
have potential.  The motor turned freely by starter, the oil was very
clean, the antifreeze looked free of oil and registered 4 balls on my
little antifreeze tester thingie, and the carbs were off the car with
rebuild kits sitting beside them in the boot.  The car barely rolled
though.  The rear brake shoes had welded themselves to the brake drums.

The new owner and I spent some time on it the past few weeks and were
able to get it to run, although quite rough.   The points were
mis-adjusted quite badly.  He put new brakes on the front, and after a
slight hiccup with the rears ( I didn't know/notice in the Bentleys that
there were 2 different sizes ) the rears were replaced and brakes bleed
out well.

The car has....well it is easier to just say that nothing electrical is
working!  The taillights are off it and it isn't registered yet.  It is
however insured.  He wanted to drive it..more than just up and down his
1/2 mile long driveway.  We placed the bonnet on it, started it up, and
off we went.  I was going to follow behind him in my 250 and pick up any
falling parts and bring him back home in case it failed to make around
the block.

We went for a 25 minute ride around the block.  It looked great!  No
smoke out the tailpipe.  No massive leaks...actually I didn't see
anything leaking after the ride.  Randy was easily pushing 65 at times
and the GT6 wasn't even panting hard!  I'm half ashamed to admit this but
he got me off the line from the few stop signs we encountered.  It looked
solid through the curves and went straight as an arrow...surprising
considering that there is no rebound in the rear shocks!

Next check off item on the list is to do a good tune up ( new parts ) and
then start to sort through the electrical nightmare.  Randy has also
decided to go with KONI shocks from the place I sent to the list a few
months ago.  Shocks for his GT6 will run him about $90 each.  The best
price he has found anywhere so far.

I'll keep you all posted as when this one starts to really tear up the
dusty roads south of Atlanta!

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250,